Meet Dr. Gene
Dr. Eugene "Gene" Alford is an award-winning, internationally recognized specialist in facial plastic and reconstructive surgery. He is double board-certified by the American Board of Otolaryngology (ABOto) and the American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (ABFPRS), in addition to being a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons (FACS). With his undergraduate degree from Texas A&M University and medical degree from The University of Texas, Dr. Gene has had a well-rounded Texas education, which earned him his State of Texas Medical license in 1987. Dr. Gene has appeared as a guest on The Oprah Winfrey Show and Larry King Live as the leader of a facial reconstruction team for Carolyn Thomas "The Woman Without a Face." Dr. Gene is experienced in the latest technology and techniques for facial cosmetic and reconstructive surgery, which makes him an excellent surgeon, teacher, and mentor on the subject.
Education and Training
- Bachelor's of Science with honors in Biomedical Science, cum laude from Texas A&M University in College Station, TX
- Distinguished Student Scholar, Who's Who in American Colleges and Universities, Beta Beta Beta National Honor Society of Biology, and Distinguished Service Award at the Memorial Student Center
- Medical Doctorate from the University of Texas Health Science Center in San Antonio, TX
- General surgery internship through University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio at Bexar County Hospital District in San Antonio, TX
- Chief Resident's Award, First Year Surgery Resident
- Residency completed at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital in Philadelphia, PA in the Department of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery
- Alpha Omega Alpha
- Fellowship in surgery of the facial nerve, facial reanimation, and endoscopic sinus surgery under Professor Mark May, M.D. in Pittsburgh, PA
- Second fellowship in the Department of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery at University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, MI in head and neck oncology (cancer) plus facial plastic and reconstructive surgery
Awards and Honors
- "Best Doctors in America" 1998 to present
- "Super Doctor" 1997 to present - Texas Monthly
- "Top Doctor" 1997 to present - Houston Magazine
- "Top Doctor" 1997 to present – Texas Monthly
- "Who's Who" 2000 to present National Registry
- "Founders Club Surgeon of the Year" - American Academy of Facial Plastic Surgery
- "Humanitarian Award" - Methodist Hospital Foundation
- "President's Award of Merit" - American Academy of Otolaryngology (Head and Neck Surgery)
- "Presidential Citation" - American Academy of Otolaryngology (Head and Neck Surgery)
- "Surgeon of the Year" - Houston Business Journal
- "Surgeon of the Year" - The Houston Chapter of Association of Operating Room Nurses (AORN)
- "Ultimate Plastic Surgeon" - The Houston Chronicle
- The Oprah Winfrey Show, April 2004
- Larry King Live, March 2004 and February 2005
- Discovery Health Chanel
- "Girl Without a Face"
- "Mystery Diagnosis – Paraganglioma of the Neck"
- Reader's Digest, March 2009, "His Own Medicine – A Story of a Doctor's Healing"
- Several local and regional media outlets to talk about facial plastic surgery, facial reconstructive surgery, and domestic violence
- American Medical Association
- Christian Society of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgeons
- Diplomat, American Academy of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery
- Diplomat, American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (ABFPRS)
- FACE to FACE
- Fellow, American College of Surgeons
- Graduate Fellow, American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (AAFPRS)
- Harris County Medical Society
- Houston Methodist Hospital Specialty Physician Group
- Weill Cornell
- Houston Society of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery
- President from 2000 – 2005
- Society of University Otlaryngologists
- Southwest Oncology Group
- Texas Association of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery
- Texas Medical Association
- Texas Medical Foundation
- Texas Society of Facial Plastic Surgeons
- The Institute for Rehabilitation and Research (TIRR) Foundation
- Vice President 2007 – present
- Walter P. Work Society
- Assistant Scoutmaster, Boy Scouts of America Troop 55
- Baseball Coach, West University Little League (12 years)
- Board of Directors, Gulf Coast Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation
- Board of Directors, Texas Institute for Rehabilitation and Research Foundation
- Board of Directors, West University Little League (4 years)
- Elder, St. Andrews Presbyterian Church
- Leader, Medical/Surgical Mission Trips with Micah Project in Tegucigalpa, Honduras (6 trips)
Dr. Gene is the Associate Professor with Clinical Distinction in the Department of Plastic Surgery and Otolaryngology of Weill Cornell College of Medicine. His past academic appointments include: Clinical Assistant Professor for Baylor College of Medicine in Houston in the Bobby R. Alford Department of Otorhinolaryngology and Communicative Sciences as well as a Clinical Associate Professor at The Methodist Hospital in Houston in the Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery (part of the Weill Cornell College of Medicine). Formerly, Dr. Eugene Alford was also the Assistant Professor at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, TX and a Lecturer at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, MI.
Lectures and Courses
- Excellence in Facial Plastic Surgery: Facelift to Face Transplant Visiting Professor and Key Note Speaker for the 50th Anniversary Meeting of Mexican Academy of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, (FESORMEX) Villahermosa, Mexico, October 23, 2009.
- Guide to the Evaluation of Maxillofacial Trauma in the Professional Athlete. Major League Baseball Team Trainers Conference. Houston, TX, February 2009.
- The Caudal Septal Deformity. Rodeo Rhinoplasty Conference, Houston, Texas. Invited Lecturer; March 2009.
- Grafting in Secondary Rhinoplasty: Non-Autologous Grafts. Rodeo Rhinoplasty Conference, Invited Lecturer, Houston, TX, March 2009.
- Airway Considerations in Rhinoplasty. Rodeo Rhinoplasty Conference, Invited Lecturer; Houston, Texas March 2009.
- "Edward Scissorhead" A most unusual foreign body of the orbits. Poster presentation, American Academy of Otolaryngology. Head and Neck Surgery Annual Meeting, Kansas City, MO, September 1991.
- Winner of President’s Award of Merit for Best Presentation of 1991
- Airway Considerations in Rhinoplasty. Rodeo Rhinoplasty Conference, Houston, TX, March 2010.
- The Caudal Septal Deformity. Rodeo Rhinoplasty Conference, Houston, TX March 2010.
- The Nasal Valve in Rhinoplasty. Mexican Academy of Otolaryngology Head and Surgery Annual Meeting, Villa Hermosa, Mexico, October 2009.
- Revision Rhinoplasty. Mexican Academy of Otolaryngology Head and Surgery Annual Meeting, Villa Hermosa, Mexico, October 2009.
- Secondary Rhinoplasty. Mexican Academy of Otolaryngology Head and Surgery Annual Meeting, Villa Hermosa, Mexico, October 2009.
- Excellence in Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Facelift to Face Transplant. Keynote Address Mexican Academy of Otolaryngology Head and Surgery Annual Meeting, Villa Hermosa Mexico, October 2009.
"Gene Alford is always honest and trustworthy, which is why I respect his opinion."
"Dr. Alford is brilliant! - The advice and solutions Dr. Alford provides are excellent. His knowledge and ability to identify a problem & improve or fix it are amazing."
"Outstanding Plastic Surgeon! - I have seen Dr. Alford several times and everytime has been a productive experience with excellent results. I am very pleased with all the advice & work Dr. Alford has done on me and look forward to having a fat transfer done soon! Dr. Alford is extremely knowledgeable and uses his knowledge brilliantly. Love my cheeks & lips now! Lindsay is wonderful to work with. Dr. Alford and..."
"Dr. Alford helped give me give me smile back along with gave me a chance to breathe again after multiple injuries as an event planner serving the military injury .He truly listened attentively takes his time ,very caring and makes a big difference an incredible surgeon Very Proud to recommend him and his staff"
"I am very happy with my lip lift and will be returning for my injections. Dr. Alford is brilliant! He gives simple solutions to concerning medical issues and detailed information about what procedures are available and the expected results. He is helpful and generous with his knowledge. Ashley & Alison were a huge help with updating my records! Highly recommend."
Am I Too Old for Facelift Surgery?
Learn about facelift surgery in Houston, TX, and whether you are the right age or too old for rhytidectomy.Read
Will Recovery be More Intense After Revision Rhinoplasty?
Find out what factors determine how fast you'll heal in the weeks following revision rhinoplasty surgery and how you can speed up recovery.Read
Can Facelift Surgery Get Rid of Wrinkles?
Get rid of wrinkles and numerous signs of aging for a smooth complexion with customized facelift surgery.Read
How Long Will my Nose be Fragile After Rhinoplasty Surgery?
Caring for your healing, delicate nose properly is one of the most critical aspects of rhinoplasty recovery.Read