Meet Dr. Gene
Dr. Eugene "Gene" Alford is an award-winning, internationally recognized specialist in facial plastic and reconstructive surgery. He is double board-certified by the American Board of Otolaryngology (ABOto) and the American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (ABFPRS), in addition to being a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons (FACS). With his undergraduate degree from Texas A&M University and medical degree from The University of Texas, Dr. Gene has had a well-rounded Texas education, which earned him his State of Texas Medical license in 1987. Dr. Gene has appeared as a guest on The Oprah Winfrey Show and Larry King Live as the leader of a facial reconstruction team for Carolyn Thomas "The Woman Without a Face." Dr. Gene is experienced in the latest technology and techniques for facial cosmetic and reconstructive surgery, which makes him an excellent surgeon, teacher, and mentor on the subject.
Education and Training
- Bachelor's of Science with honors in Biomedical Science, cum laude from Texas A&M University in College Station, TX
- Distinguished Student Scholar, Who's Who in American Colleges and Universities, Beta Beta Beta National Honor Society of Biology, and Distinguished Service Award at the Memorial Student Center
- Medical Doctorate from the University of Texas Health Science Center in San Antonio, TX
- General surgery internship through University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio at Bexar County Hospital District in San Antonio, TX
- Chief Resident's Award, First Year Surgery Resident
- Residency completed at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital in Philadelphia, PA in the Department of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery
- Alpha Omega Alpha
- Fellowship in surgery of the facial nerve, facial reanimation, and endoscopic sinus surgery under Professor Mark May, M.D. in Pittsburgh, PA
- Second fellowship in the Department of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery at University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, MI in head and neck oncology (cancer) plus facial plastic and reconstructive surgery
Awards and Honors
- "Best Doctors in America" 1998 to present
- "Super Doctor" 1997 to present - Texas Monthly
- "Top Doctor" 1997 to present - Houston Magazine
- "Top Doctor" 1997 to present – Texas Monthly
- "Who's Who" 2000 to present National Registry
- "Founders Club Surgeon of the Year" - American Academy of Facial Plastic Surgery
- "Humanitarian Award" - Methodist Hospital Foundation
- "President's Award of Merit" - American Academy of Otolaryngology (Head and Neck Surgery)
- "Presidential Citation" - American Academy of Otolaryngology (Head and Neck Surgery)
- "Surgeon of the Year" - Houston Business Journal
- "Surgeon of the Year" - The Houston Chapter of Association of Operating Room Nurses (AORN)
- "Ultimate Plastic Surgeon" - The Houston Chronicle
- The Oprah Winfrey Show, April 2004
- Larry King Live, March 2004 and February 2005
- Discovery Health Chanel
- "Girl Without a Face"
- "Mystery Diagnosis – Paraganglioma of the Neck"
- Reader's Digest, March 2009, "His Own Medicine – A Story of a Doctor's Healing"
- Several local and regional media outlets to talk about facial plastic surgery, facial reconstructive surgery, and domestic violence
- American Medical Association
- Christian Society of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgeons
- Diplomat, American Academy of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery
- Diplomat, American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (ABFPRS)
- FACE to FACE
- Fellow, American College of Surgeons
- Graduate Fellow, American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (AAFPRS)
- Harris County Medical Society
- Houston Methodist Hospital Specialty Physician Group
- Weill Cornell
- Houston Society of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery
- President from 2000 – 2005
- Society of University Otlaryngologists
- Southwest Oncology Group
- Texas Association of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery
- Texas Medical Association
- Texas Medical Foundation
- Texas Society of Facial Plastic Surgeons
- The Institute for Rehabilitation and Research (TIRR) Foundation
- Vice President 2007 – present
- Walter P. Work Society
- Assistant Scoutmaster, Boy Scouts of America Troop 55
- Baseball Coach, West University Little League (12 years)
- Board of Directors, Gulf Coast Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation
- Board of Directors, Texas Institute for Rehabilitation and Research Foundation
- Board of Directors, West University Little League (4 years)
- Elder, St. Andrews Presbyterian Church
- Leader, Medical/Surgical Mission Trips with Micah Project in Tegucigalpa, Honduras (6 trips)
Dr. Gene is the Associate Professor with Clinical Distinction in the Department of Plastic Surgery and Otolaryngology of Weill Cornell College of Medicine. His past academic appointments include: Clinical Assistant Professor for Baylor College of Medicine in Houston in the Bobby R. Alford Department of Otorhinolaryngology and Communicative Sciences as well as a Clinical Associate Professor at The Methodist Hospital in Houston in the Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery (part of the Weill Cornell College of Medicine). Formerly, Dr. Eugene Alford was also the Assistant Professor at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, TX and a Lecturer at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, MI.
Lectures and Courses
- Excellence in Facial Plastic Surgery: Facelift to Face Transplant Visiting Professor and Key Note Speaker for the 50th Anniversary Meeting of Mexican Academy of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, (FESORMEX) Villahermosa, Mexico, October 23, 2009.
- Guide to the Evaluation of Maxillofacial Trauma in the Professional Athlete. Major League Baseball Team Trainers Conference. Houston, TX, February 2009.
- The Caudal Septal Deformity. Rodeo Rhinoplasty Conference, Houston, Texas. Invited Lecturer; March 2009.
- Grafting in Secondary Rhinoplasty: Non-Autologous Grafts. Rodeo Rhinoplasty Conference, Invited Lecturer, Houston, TX, March 2009.
- Airway Considerations in Rhinoplasty. Rodeo Rhinoplasty Conference, Invited Lecturer; Houston, Texas March 2009.
- "Edward Scissorhead" A most unusual foreign body of the orbits. Poster presentation, American Academy of Otolaryngology. Head and Neck Surgery Annual Meeting, Kansas City, MO, September 1991.
- Winner of President’s Award of Merit for Best Presentation of 1991
- Airway Considerations in Rhinoplasty. Rodeo Rhinoplasty Conference, Houston, TX, March 2010.
- The Caudal Septal Deformity. Rodeo Rhinoplasty Conference, Houston, TX March 2010.
- The Nasal Valve in Rhinoplasty. Mexican Academy of Otolaryngology Head and Surgery Annual Meeting, Villa Hermosa, Mexico, October 2009.
- Revision Rhinoplasty. Mexican Academy of Otolaryngology Head and Surgery Annual Meeting, Villa Hermosa, Mexico, October 2009.
- Secondary Rhinoplasty. Mexican Academy of Otolaryngology Head and Surgery Annual Meeting, Villa Hermosa, Mexico, October 2009.
- Excellence in Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Facelift to Face Transplant. Keynote Address Mexican Academy of Otolaryngology Head and Surgery Annual Meeting, Villa Hermosa Mexico, October 2009.
"What an amazing experience!"
"He did thyroid surgery for me 13 years ago. Dr Alford the best"
"Gene is a tremendous doctor and an even better person. He has operated on me and my two daughters."
"Dr Alford is an amazing surgeon and an even more amazing person. He displays the highest level of integrity, compassion and surgical skill of any doctor. I sincerely admire him and his approach to patient care. He is a remarkable and highly skilled individual."
"22years Old - Houston, TX - I've always been self-conscience about my nose since I was a teenager.. I started noticing my nose having a slight division as I started getting older. This started when I was a child, I had an accident and fell and broke my nose but it wasn't noticeable until I started growing. I finally decided that it was time to do something about it because it also was long and pointy with a hump... I finally went in for a consultation with Dr.Alford and I must say he was the best choice I've ever made.!!!! He's such an amazing doctor.!!! We took pictures and he explained to me how it will also look after... He took all my concerns into consideration and he gave me the best nose ever.!!!!! I'm beyond happy with my result... I strongly recommend Dr.Alford if you are looking for a good surgeon."
What is a Lip Flip?
Dr. Eugene Alford uses a lip flip to give his patients long lasting, aesthetic lips. Learn more in this post!Read
Most commonly asked facelift questionsRead
ALMI (All me) Autologous lipocyte micronized injection
Dr. Alford discusses ALMI fat transfers.Read
Liquid Rhinoplasty vs Traditional Rhinoplasty
Liquid rhinoplasty seems to be the rage throughout social media, yet a large portion of the community does not understand exactly what it is.Read